Administering prescribed medication at school
Departmental policy and procedures require that when a medical practitioner has prescribed medication that must be administered during the school day, parents are responsible for:
· bringing this need to the attention of the school
· ensuring that the information is updated if it changes
· supplying the medication and any 'consumables' necessary for its administration in a timely way
· collaborating with the school in working out arrangements for the supply and administration of the prescribed medication.
Some key points to please remember:
· Parents of children who require prescribed medication to be administered at school must complete a written request. There is a departmental form for this that can be supplied by the school- please ask for it when required. If parents have difficulty in completing the form, they can also ask the school for assistance.
· Students must not carry medications unless there is a written agreement between the school and the student's parents that this is a planned part of the student's health care support.